Lead Activity Instructor
The job at a glance
Who are we?
Whickham Thorns Outdoor Adventure Centre is a 56 acre woodland site on the outskirts of Newcastle. Its current facilities include an outdoor ski slope, a high ropes course and a climbing wall. Its woodland provides ample opportunity to be utilised as an engaging environment for the provision of bush craft and camping adventures. It is currently under the custodianship of Gateshead District Scouts. Gateshead District Scouts are part of the UK Scout Association, an organisation recognised nationally for its excellence in voluntary provision of adventure and skills for life for young people.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for someone with the passion, vision, drive, enthusiasm and experience to unlock this site’s potential and make Whickham Thorns a market leader in the provision of outdoor adventure in the north east of England.
We need a person with the skill set to be able to:
- Set up and deliver a high-quality activity programme in an under used outdoor centre with huge potential
- Work effectively with our team of youth and adult volunteers
Who are you?
- You are driven and proactive
- You hold nationally recognised outdoor qualifications in appropriate fields such as climbing.
- You have experience delivering high quality outdoor adventure within an activity centre setting.
- You have the experience and the interpersonal skills to work with a team of dedicated volunteers, with a view to building a team of your own.
- You are flexible, visionary, and able to work with people of all ages and backgrounds.
What will you do?
- Offer programme and risk assessment support to our District Scout Groups as they rebuild from the pandemic
- Deliver a safe and engaging weekend programme to our customers
- Feed into the development of a programme for our Scout and broader local communities.
- Work with our technical advisor and be responsible for safe delivery of all climbing related activities
- Publicise our centre and its programmes via social media
- Use your existing qualifications and skills to help keep our facility users safe.
- Devise the rota of staff and volunteers to deliver activities alongside you
What support will you get?
- You will work with a team of passionate volunteers who are as driven as you to make Whickham Thorns a centre of excellence in the field of adventure.
- You will have the input of the Gateshead District Technical Advisor who can quality assure the safety of your programme and provision.
- Contacts and mentorship (if needed) via our extensive network of scout volunteers.
- Appropriate training based on your, and the business’s, needs.
What about the practicalities?
- You will earn upwards of 22K a year, depending on experience, passion and success
- You will work 40 hours per week, including weekends and school holidays. Availability at “peak” business times is a key requirement for this position.
To find out more, please download our applicant info pack:
Applicant info pack
To apply, please complete the below linked application form and email to email@example.com by 7th March 2021. Interviews will take place after 15th March 2021.
For further information , please contact James Heron at firstname.lastname@example.org.